Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Nicer

The Swimsuit 7" is out now, and available over at the Life Like, as are a bunch of new tapes that I'm pretty stoked about. The Settle tape has some of the more adventurous sounds I've found in a minute, and all the releases just keep feeling great/better...

I heard the new Kanye record today at work. It's good! The beats sound great on a big system and it seems like a more coherent venture than 808s & Heartbreak (*wamp wah*). Just generally a pretty good record, but I'm told Pitchfork gave it a perfect 10.0 score. Somehow in the back of my mind I knew that was gonna happen! It's so utterly obvious that it's almost annoying, but also kinda funny. You can totally predict what will be hailed/hyped, regardless of what it sounds like or even how it's marketed. The meaninglessness is not just transparent, I feel like it's this silent understanding. I gave up p4k almost a year ago as my 2010 New Year's resolution and I've been a lot happier and a lot less perturbed by choosing not to read this stuff that disappears so quickly anyway. This sounds a lot like sour grapes, and I assure you, it is.. but the grapes were so much more sour when I was up at 3:00 AM every night refreshing the page just to scream at the computer in my disgust for people being so stoked on Major Lazer or whatever. In the end, this pretty much says it all...

1 comment:

joel said...

Got my swimsuit 7in and Might Clouds vinyl when I got home from brooklyn today Thanks Fred! Pitchfork giving kanye a 10 is all marketing/ego scam they got him to show up at their offline fest boosting their ego and they returned the favor. Sean from white hinterland destroyed (if they can do that) here last week; said he knew you from portland (city center/white hinterland/saturday project??casey's voice would be sweet in your production).

Cheers